[lfs-dev] How to create an alias interface with LFS networt bootscripts

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.net
Sat Feb 7 10:01:58 PST 2015

Tim Tassonis wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to create an alias interface in the form of eth0:0 to set a a
> second ip address on the interface. I tried the (obvious):

Is there any particular reason you need the alias interface itself?  It's
pretty easy to set multiple IPv4 addresses on a single interface:

ip addr add a.b.c.d/e dev eth0 <other options>
ip addr add f.g.h.i/j dev eth0 <other options>

Likewise not necessarily supported in the book scripts, but it might be easier
than trying to set up an entirely different interface...