[lfs-dev] Grub Video Modules

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.net
Tue Sep 30 19:27:56 PDT 2014

Dan McGhee wrote:
>     insmod ieee1275_fb

IEEE 1275 is the Open Firmware spec.  Not sure if OF applies to x86 or not
though.

>     insmod vbe

VESA BIOS extensions, aka "video modes better than the original VGA spec's
640x480" (by ... 4 bit color I think?)

>     insmod vga

Given that VBE is above, I bet this is VGA-spec-only.  It's a framebuffer,
more or less, but it's a really low resolution one by today's standards.

>     insmod video_bochs

Bochs is a virtualization setup, so I *suspect* this one is "hardware"
dependent, in that if you're not running in a bochs VM you won't need it.

>     insmod video_cirrus

Cirrus is definitely an old video chipset.  I therefore also suspect this is a
hardware specific driver.