[lfs-dev] console script minor visual issue

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 10 17:30:49 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 10:00:17PM -0700, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > unset COLUMNS
> > . /lib/services/init_functions
> >
> > <...>
> >
> > This is pretty minor.  Is this change worth doing?
>
> Is it easier to just recalculate ROWS (...if needed; entirely possibly not
> although I don't know what might use it) and COLUMNS?  That ends up being a
> separate copy of the script code though, so entirely possibly not-worthwhile.
>
> Not sure how many fonts have different character sizes, but it *probably*
> makes sense to handle that.

 Looking at the (unicode) font names installed by kbd, there are
some -12 and -19, for which I am not ready to look at how wide
they are (my 7.6 builds do not yet have psftools installed), and
fonts claiming to be: 8x6,7,8,11,14,16 9x14,16 12x22.

 I will also hazard a guess that debian-derived distros might have
other sizes (they use their own console-tools).

ĸen