[lfs-dev] LFS and Git

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Sun Mar 9 20:04:42 PDT 2014

On Mar 9, 2014, at 9:16 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Well there is a difference between LFS and BLFS.  Although there are
> several devs authorized to commit to LFS, in the last cycle only Matt
> and I did so.  BLFS had seven committers in the same cycle.  Generally
> the only collisions I see are in the changelog or possibly general.ent
> and then not very often.

Lately it has only been Chris and I working with CLFS so not many issues
when are both working with the book. Although, a lot of times when we
are working at the same time, we will chat through IRC for quick
discussion.

Andrew Bradford mostly deals with clfs-embedded and I'll help there
when required.

> When I analyze my activities with svn, I find I only use 10 commands:
> checkout (rarely), update, add, mv, delete, copy, commit, status,
> propset (rarely), and diff.  Creating a branch is only a copy inside
> my
> local sandbox and a commit.  Note that only three of those require
> network communication.
>
> Occasional diffs from Trac are about the only thing I do from the
> server
> other than commits and updates.

LFS on the other may not want to move to subversion because of the
above.
It's a pretty big move and granted, some projects are huge and can
benefit from using git.

> I did read the document you reference.
>
> "Now stop for a moment and try to remember how many times you’ve
> gone to
> get a cup of coffee while Subversion has been running some command."
>
> My answer: never.

Same here, I found that rather amusing, but I don't know what type of
projects the author has used.

> Merging is generally not needed by me, but that may be the reason
> Armin
> wants to move to git.  I can't remember the last time I needed to do a
> merge.

I only had to deal with merges when I was adding additional books to
CLFS while master was still being updated.
That was rare, as well. But it may happen often depending on what is
being added/changed/removed.

As LFS xml is rather simple compared to CLFS, it most likely won't be
an issue very often.
It can already be shown how simple or complex the project can become.

Sincerely,

William Harrington