[lfs-dev] eudev has replaced systemd in LFS

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:50:34 PST 2014

William Harrington wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2014, at 1:56 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> There is a circular dependency between util-linux and udev/eudev.
>> That's why I added util-linux to Chapter 5.
>
> Well util linux is great for tools when booting or chroot, but why is
> it so late in your final system build in ch6?
>
> The problem is that  ch6 eudev is after util-linux.
>
> Has nothing to do with util-linux needing to be in temp system.
> You also have to be careful where you put util linux in your build for
> test suite results. I was also seeing in CLFS we have iana-etc after
> util-linux and that affects test suite failures. As long as you have
> Util linux before udev, and after iana-etc, should be fine in most
> cases.

I had a conversation with the util-linux devs and they said there were
some advantages to building after udev but the capabilities were
silently left out if not.  But udev needs BLKID in util-linux.  That's
why I added util-linux to Ch 5.

So what we have is

util-linux in Ch 5
eudev in Ch 6
util-linux in Ch 6

That reminds me.  I still need to update C. Dependencies for eudev.

   -- Bruce