[lfs-dev] Project contributor names

MENGUAL Jean-Philippe jmengual at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 5 13:09:20 PST 2014

Hi,

Ok I'm not direct contributor to LFS and F can understand that
translation stuff isn't the priority of the upstream devs. However, I'd
like to tell you that with git, it became painful to translate
cross-lfs. We are now unable to release at the same time, synchronously,
because unable to understand the revisions, branches, and fuzzy commit
reports. Probably we sohuld learn git, but F've tried for years without
success. So spending again a while on this would be painful. All the
more as for BLFS, project very stressed due to its size, any freeze
would be somewhat a problem (disappoint the contrib, taking delay). For
translators, it would imply to update our utilities, mandatory to be
efficient with blfs given the size of the project. Again here, git will
be painful.

Finally I think svn is suit to the lfs project and its current workflow.
But it's only my opinion. It could deal with a new branch such as
systemd without pain, and translating it will be possible as soon as a
contrib ask it. And if, someday, systemd becomes trunk, we'll translate
it (I don't know what's the state of this debate in lfs team because
writing the bootscripts was a big work for Bruce).

That's why I'd really ask to be careful switching to git, and please
help us, because it's a pitty to change what works to something so
unsafe in project management matter. Unsafe not due to the tool, but to
the men who use it.

Regards,

--
Jean-Philippe MENGUAL