[lfs-dev] Project contributor names

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:52:34 PST 2014

William Harrington wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2014, at 7:16 PM, Armin K. wrote:
>
>> Well, I guess if we decide to migrate to git, we'll have some sort of
>> online browser like cgit or gitweb
>>
>> For example, freedesktop.org uses cgit, here's the mesa repository.
>>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/
>>
>> Just click on any of the commits below and you can easily see what's
>> changed.
>>
>> I expect that lfs-book and blfs-book mailing lists should still be
>> there, although mail format might be different than the current one.
>
> I moved from gitweb to cgit, and I'm liking cgit a lot. Gitweb
> shouldn't be used.
>
> Also, it's much easier to view what is going on with cgit, than gitweb.
>
> The only problem is that a test repo needs to be created if the LFS
> project goes to git.
>
> The devs will need to take some time to learn about git and making
> sure they know how to use it properly.

I certainly agree.

> When we moved to git with CLFS, a guide was created for devs to read.
>
> http://trac.cross-lfs.org/wiki/Basic%20Git%20Usage

Yes, we would need to update the developers guide.

I've gone through a similar tutorial and have an O'Reilly book on git,
but my concern is how to create and maintain the remote server.  I know
Armin is working on that.

> Some things have changed long ago when that was created, but it'll help.
>
> As far as getting the initial git repository going and all of that,
> you've done most of the work. It's all about deploying it now if the
> community decides to go with git.
>
> There has to be a freeze to take the time to migrate svn to git, it
> does take time because svn repo has been around for 10 years or so.
> It'll take 12 hours or so for each repo (as you stated on your system).

First commit for LFS was December 29, 2000.
First commit for BLFS was May 29, 2002, but that was a conversion from CVS.

   -- Bruce