[lfs-dev] linux-3.13.5

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 3 07:55:31 PST 2014

On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 10:53:38PM -0800, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> So I guess this is a long way of saying -- are you sure the rm userspace code
> is what was hung, and not something in the kernel?  Might be a prevalence of
> cosmic rays I suppose, or it might be a memory corruption bug somewhere
> causing issues with RCU.

 I'm not at all sure. Certainly, 'top' showed 'rm' running with 99
to 100% cpu and a time of over 300 minutes.  Nothing interesting in
the log, but a memory corruption bug might be possible.  I will note
that a plain reboot was not enough to let me login, whih was why I
had to chroot to fix the passwords.

 OTOH the latest system, with the same 3.13.5 .config, has been up
for 13 or 14 hours without problems.  I built Xorg in chroot, then
booted it.  Firefox has been running for a few hours - although
mostly not doing anything - and I've now intalled libreoffice.

ĸen