[lfs-dev] [blfs-dev] Util-linux

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 08:02:42 PST 2014

Igor Živković wrote:
> On 01/15/2014 12:18 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I found out that util-linux and udev have a circular dependency.  What
>> we do now is OK, but there are some things disabled.  What we need to do
>> is add util-linux-pass2 after udev.
>
> What functionality is lost in util-linux without libudev? I'd rather
> avoid circular dependencies if possible.

I asked the same question.  From upstream:

"You don't need root permissions to read from udev,
but you need root permissions to parse filesystem/PT on the device
by libblkid.

udev has also more information collected from more sources, see for
example lsblk.c where non-udev part does not provide WWN and serial
number.

It's also better if all system use information from one place (udev),
so libblkid is fallback solution here (in findmnt, lsblk)."

   -- Bruce