[lfs-dev] inetutils

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Tue Jan 14 13:28:16 PST 2014

Em 14-01-2014 18:14, Armin K. escreveu:
> On 14.1.2014 22:01, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> We removed inetutils from BLFS some time ago.  I have been looking at
>> the new inetutils for LFS and note that it installs ifconfig if not
>> disabled (we do disable it).  The other place for ifconfig is net-tools
>> and that package seems to be unmaintained (We install CVS_20101030 in BLFS).
>>
>> We can install ifconfig in LFS in inetutils by adding one line:
>>
>> #define PATH_PROCNET_DEV "/proc/net/dev" to ifconfig/system/linux.c.
>>
>> I'm inclined to do this because the output format of ifconfig is useful
>> and it makes the version of ifconfig the maintained instance.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>>     -- Bruce
>>

> ifconfig is deprecated anyways. I doubt it can be said that it is
> maintained just because new versions of inetutils are released often
> than net-tools, especially since inetutils contains more than just ifconfig.
>
> net-utils are required for virtuoso in BLFS, but other than that, I see
> no use for it. ip can already do everything ifconfig does and more.

I like to use ifconfig. Have to run a manpage to get about the same with
ip, have done in some situations. Please, do not ask which info, I
cannot remember, now. Only remember that when I need some specific info
when installing new systems, I really use it, and am very busy in the
install to try avoiding using any manpages, particularly the one for ip.
I guess this is one of the places in my memory where I am irreparably
deprecated myself. :-)

--
[]s,
Fernando