[lfs-dev] inetutils

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Tue Jan 14 13:14:07 PST 2014

On 14.1.2014 22:01, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> We removed inetutils from BLFS some time ago.  I have been looking at
> the new inetutils for LFS and note that it installs ifconfig if not
> disabled (we do disable it).  The other place for ifconfig is net-tools
> and that package seems to be unmaintained (We install CVS_20101030 in BLFS).
>
> We can install ifconfig in LFS in inetutils by adding one line:
>
> #define PATH_PROCNET_DEV "/proc/net/dev" to ifconfig/system/linux.c.
>
> I'm inclined to do this because the output format of ifconfig is useful
> and it makes the version of ifconfig the maintained instance.
>
> Thoughts?
>
>     -- Bruce

ifconfig is deprecated anyways. I doubt it can be said that it is
maintained just because new versions of inetutils are released often
than net-tools, especially since inetutils contains more than just ifconfig.

net-utils are required for virtuoso in BLFS, but other than that, I see
no use for it. ip can already do everything ifconfig does and more.