[lfs-dev] Question regarding /lib/udev/init-net-rules.sh

Tim Tassonis stuff at decentral.ch
Wed Dec 17 03:04:02 PST 2014

Hi all

I've got a question regarding the

/lib/udev/init-net-rules.sh

script, that is supposed to generate entries in

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

>From line 15 to 20, there are the following entries:

VENDORS_IGNORED['52:54:00:']="kvm"
VENDORS_IGNORED['00:0c:29:']="vmware"
VENDORS_IGNORED['00:50:56:']="vmware"
VENDORS_IGNORED['00:15:5d:']="hyper-v"
VENDORS_IGNORED['00:00:00:']="invalid"

As my lfs system is actually a qemu virtual machine with a mac addess
starting with 52:54:00:, this results in no rule being generated for my
eth0. When I disable the line, the rule gets generated and all is well.

I fail to see the rationale for not generating an udev rule for virtual
network cards, what is the reason for that?

Kind regards
Tim