[lfs-dev] variables in /etc/vconsole.conf

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 29 11:44:36 PDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 12:19:46AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> > 2. Googling to try to find examples, I see suggestions that
> > vconsole.conf is also used to set the Xorg keymap - is that true ?
>
> I would doubt it unless the Xorg folks have made the change.
>
> > At the moment, I set
> > 	Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
> > in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-keyboard.conf and later (after I'm
> > running icewm) use xmodmap to set my xorg keymap to one of : british
> > with a few extra glyphs such as „ (low double quotes), russian
> > (phonetic) with a few other extras, e.g for ukrainian letters, or
> > greek with one or two extras.  Anyone know if I'll still be able to
> > override things in xmodmap when / if I try systemd ?
>
> I would think so, but I haven't tried.

 Yes, for me all is well in this area.  Setting the gb layout in that
way still works,and my xmodmap settings allow me to type all sorts of
glyphs if I can remember how to get them, e.g. [ english, and some
translations chosen for their use of different glyphs ]

It still works!  Ona još uvijek radi!  Ĝi ankoraŭ funkcias!
Það virkar enn!  Tas joprojām darbojas!  Għadu jaħdem!
Încă mai funcționează!  ¡Todavía funciona!  Hala çalışıyor!
Εξακολουθει να λειτουργει!  Бин як і раніше працює!

 I've now completed that build - fortunately I didn't use gcc-4.9 so
I don't have to test *all* my applications.

ĸen