[lfs-dev] udev rules

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 2 15:46:39 PDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 02:00:29PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out whether we need the lfs udev rules when
> transitioning to udev from systemd-211.
>
> 83-cdrom-symlinks.rules needs write_cd_rules, so those go together.

 Taking a quick look at them, I admit I don't understand how it all
fits together.  My memory suggests that those two rules create the cdrom
symlink, and that eject needs that to be able to open the drive
(even when the drive is empty).  So, I'll suggest that whether the
cdrom rules are needed is a practical question which can be tested :

 On a new systemd system with a cdrom device, try booting with those
two rules present.  Does 'eject' work ?  Do you get a /dev/cdrom
symlink ?  Compare the symlink(s) and perms with/without a CD in the
drive. [ I assume that eject does work and the /dev/cdrom symlink
will exist - if not, I suggest there is already a usability problem ].

 Then remove the rules and reboot to be certain that the environment
is clean.  Repeat the tests.  Either things are worse, or no
different.

 Of course, since I admit to not understanding the details it is
entirely possible that I'm barking up the wrong tree.

ĸen