[lfs-dev] LFS SVN and Systemd Report

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu May 31 16:18:25 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 06:49:36PM -0400, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On 5/31/12 6:17 PM, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> > It still amazes me that pkg-config requires any other external library.
> > glib1 wasn't bad since it was shipped alongside it and had no other
> > deps, fairly lightweight. But switching to glib2 was just ridiculous.
> > All that pkg-config is doing is parsing a text file and spitting out
> > results. Makes me want to look it over and rip out that dependency...
>
> Check these out:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pkgconfiglite/

 Ah, love the self-referential link to its website on that page.
Looks good, if it will be maintained.  But then, for *years* nothing
happened in pkgconfig.  At the moment this one's version is current
(for those packages which look for pkgconfig > x.xx).

> And:
>
> https://github.com/nenolod/pkgconf

 Under development, but no releases and only a zip file for casual
browsers to look at.  But that is called
nenolod-pkgconf-pkgconf-0.8-2-g495f586.zip so I imagine it is 0.8.2
and I suspect that *could* cause funnies in packages that wish to
check the version (ISTR 0.9.0 and 0.16 were the big changes for
pkg-config, and I'm fairly sure some things require at least one or
the other of those versions.

 No, he's thought of that, grep VERSION found
./pkg.h:#define PKG_PKGCONFIG_VERSION_EQUIV	"0.26"

 I'd much prefer to deal with a released version and a tarball, so
on that basis pkgconfiglite sounds as if it will be a better bet.

ĸen  getting resigned to reworking the glib2 dependencies in BLFS :(