[lfs-dev] LFS SVN and Systemd Report

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:32:22 PDT 2012

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 02:10:44PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>>  Failed to link:
>>>
>>> CC cdrom_id
>>> CC ata_id
>>> CC accelerometer
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ludev
>>> collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>>> LD udevd failed
>>> root in chroot /building/systemd-183#
>>>
>>>  You know I do things differently, so here is my environment in case
>>> it's my fault:
>> The environment shouldn't be a factor.  You should have seen:
>>
>> CC libudev-device-private
>> CC libudev-device
>> CC libudev-enumerate
>> CC libudev-list
>> CC libudev-monitor
>> CC libudev-queue-private
>> CC libudev-queue
>> CC libudev-util
>> CC libudev
>> libudev.so.1 created
>
>  got that part
>> CC accelerometer
>> LD udevd
>> LD udevadm
>> Finished
>
>  but broke in D udevd
>> Look at the make.sh script.  It should have:
>>
>> ########## LINKING
>>
>> cd build
>> LDFLAGS="-pthread -Lbuild  -lrt -lblkid  -lkmod -L.. -ludev"
>> link udevd
>  Yes, it has all of those lines.  build contains all the objects as
> well as libudev-local.a and ../ contains libudev.so.1{,.0.0}.
>
>  Ah!  No libudev.so symlink.  Added symlink for libudev.so in ../ and
> retried : it rebuilt / relinked and got through to Finished.

I guess I wasn't doing a clean and it was finding /usr/lib/libudev.so on
my system.

>  Is it worth me testing that this does work for xorg/Mesa ?  Or are
> you concentrating on the patches to separate it ?

Not sure.  I've spent most of the day looking at configure.ac and can't
seem to get around the need for pkg-config without unacceptable major
surgery.  See my post to Dan.

> ĸen : still reading the 'goat' book - found my printed copy, didn't
> know that was a goat on the cover (Dan's link to autobook at redhat)

My paper copy says First Edition, October 2000.  I always found it a
difficult read.  It's probably just takes a while to get your head
around M4.  The only time I really used M4 was in a compiler course I
took somewhere around 1987.

   -- Bruce