[lfs-dev] [LFS Trac] #3098: udev/systemd 183 is out

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed May 30 19:39:20 PDT 2012

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Perhaps it's because I invested so much work in the last couple of days,
> but I am leaning towards static linking of udevd and udevadm.  At least
> the udev part.

ldd /usr/bin/Xorg
        linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff4455c000)
        libudev.so.0 => /usr/lib64/libudev.so.0 (0x00007f3046635000)

So statically installing libudev isn't, I think, going to fly.  At
least, not for Xorg, which uses libudev to find input devices.  (The
options were libudev, hal, and possibly dbus, and I don't have either
hal or dbus.)

On the other hand, libudev.so.1 (as udev-183 creates) is *not* binary
compatible with libudev.so.0 (as udev-180 installed).  ARG.  Now I'll
have to rebuild X when doing this upgrade, or leave the old libudev
hanging around for a while.

(Though you're right that neither udevadm nor udevd link against
libudev.  But I think that makes sense in the case of udevd; libudev is
the library used to talk to udevd, not the library that udevd itself
would use.  Not sure what's up with udevadm though.)