[lfs-dev] LFS SVN and Systemd Report

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:00:26 PDT 2012

Armin K. wrote:

> Alright ... Here's one crazy idea. I am unable to follow your discussion
> and build system development, but you can try the following:
>
> 1. Extract udev-182 (last standalone version)
> 2. Merge source files changes from 183 into that tree.
> 3. Package pure udev 183 tarball derived from 182 one or create a diff!
>
> I was looking at udev development in systemd tree, I don't think it will
> be easy, but also it won't be hard.
>
> I think it might be easier than the crazy (not Krejzi!) ways you are
> trying to make it build properly.

Well it might be unusual for LFS (call it crazy if you like), but it works.

The autotools are all about creating a single build system that works in
multiple environments like bsd, aix, hp, etc.  AFAIK, systemd is only
for linux.  Because of it's need to handle many architectures, autotools
are complicated.

Building to a single os and two similar architectures (x86 and x86_64)
is much simplier.  If you look at the scripts I wrote, a compile amounts to:

  gcc -c $WARN $OPT $INC $DEF -o build/$FILE.o $SRC/$FILE.c

Where you specify warning flags, includes, and definitions.  These are
constants once defined.

The link is merely:

   gcc $LDFLAGS $OBJECTS libudev.a -o $1

Where you specify the linker flags (-l, -L etc), the object files to
link, and the output file.

libudev.a is created with a simple line:

   ar rcs build/libudev.a build/*.o

When the only files in build/ are the library files.

   -- Bruce