[lfs-dev] LFS SVN and Systemd Report

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 30 05:33:48 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Jeremy Huntwork
<jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com> wrote:
> On 5/28/12 2:52 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> The problem is that none of these libraries are used for udev.  On a
>> recent blfs system, where the systemd dependent libraries are installed,
>> I as able to build and looked at the executables and libraries.  AFAIK,
>> the only ones are /bin/udevadm, /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd,
>> /lib/libudev.so.1.0.0 and /usr/lib/udev/*.
>
> Perhaps the best solution is to complain loudly to upstream and hope
> that enough do so that they build into the package the ability to build
> and install only the udev components as they said would be possible.

Have any of you guys considered actually making patches and sending
them upstream? The autotools are not that scary. Having been both
upstream and downstream, my guess is that those guys will accept
patches that allow a udev-only build, but they just don't have any
interest in doing that work themselves. I'm sure there are more than a
few people around who are interested in that scenario (they're already
showing up on the hotplug list) who would test and push for the
patches. If it's that critical to keep systemd out of LFS, then you'd
probably be best served by taking control of the situation. IMO.

Here's an untested patch to get you started.

--
Dan