[lfs-dev] kbd

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu May 17 19:06:13 PDT 2012

Qrux wrote:
> On May 17, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 04:37:24PM -0700, Qrux wrote:
>>> Console fonts (and asking people to build FB support in kernels) seem
>>> like a waste of effort when most people probably spend 99% of their time
>>> SSH'ed in to their LFS box or running X (both BLFS considerations).
>>>

>> As well as adding better support for some glyphs, different console fonts
>> can be different sizes: larger, and therefore hopefully more legible if
>> your eyesight is not 100%, or smaller to allow more text on a screen.
>
> [Hard to trim?  I don't understand.  Your mail client doesn't word-wrap? I'll
> try to be mindful, and insert a bunch of '\n's all over the place.]

Since you are using Applemail, I think the problem is that it is using \r for
newlines instead of \n.  I see your mail wrapped, but when replying, it doesn't
wrap automatically.  It's easy enough fo rme to to edit->rewrap though.

> I'm asking if kbd serves a useful purpose.

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: International keyboards need it and there are some useful
functions for US keyboards.

> You're saying I can make the font bigger.
>
> You also say I should have a FB kernel if I use X.
>
> So...1) How is X related to this discussion about LFS?
>
> And, 2) "Bigger fonts and better glyphs" at the expense of higher complexity
> seems to warrant a "Hey--sanity check--is this machinery necessary?"

Maybe if it only did that, I'd agree, but our international users want it for
very practical reasons.

>> Anyone running Xorg on ati (radeon), intel, or the nouveau-supported
>> graphics cards, with a modern kernel, should be using KMS and therefore
>> gets a framebuffer.
>
> This doesn't answer why LFS includes kbd.

Because Xorg isn't needed on all systems and some don't have the needed HW.

> That is an artifact of (bad) product design.

Yea.  Let's redesign all the non-us keybords in the world.

Let's just drop this line of discussion.  kbd will remain in LFS.

   -- Bruce