[lfs-dev] resizecons not installed by kbd

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri May 11 07:52:57 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 08:09:48PM -0700, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > The build system of kbd is clever enough to reconfigure itself!
> > *very_weird*.  BUT, the required videomodes files are missing.
>
> For the record -- automake-generated Makefiles contain rules to rerun
> the bits of autofoo that are required whenever the source files change.
> So if you edit Makefile.am, it'll rerun at least automake and
> config.status; if you edit Makefile.in, it'll rerun config.status, and
> if you edit configure.ac (or the older name, configure.in), it'll rerun
> at least autoconf, and presumably also its ./configure output.
>
> But it does it when you try to make, not when you ./configure (IIRC).
> You also need the right versions of the autotools stuff, of course, or
> the autofoo programs fail.
>
> (Also not sure if kbd uses automake or not.)

 Bryan,

 that was spot-on, thanks for clarifying.  Even without that change,
it warns that things might break because of the wrong version of
automake (it's looking for 1.11, we're now on 1.12).  And to think
I've always been running autofoo when patching configure.* and
Makefile.* - still seems a safe way to procede, but it's nice when we
don't have to do it.

ĸen