[lfs-dev] LFS 7.0 errors

Scott Robertson scottrobertson33 at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 08:08:08 PDT 2012

>> Although there isn't really an error,

>> On page 17, if the permissions are too restrictive, I think you need
>> to clarify what to do about it.  You say to remount, but I the average
>> person might not know what that means.  What I believe you intended
>> was to issue the command:
>>
>> mount -o remount,suid,dev /dev/sd_
>>
>> which seemed to do the trick.

>Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that entire paragraph could be
>removed.  The book gives the command to mount the LFS partition as:

>mount -pv $LFS -v -t ext3 /dev/<xxx> $LFS

>And then warns, effectively, that if you did something like:

>mount -pv $LFS -v -t ext3 -o nosuid,noudev,noatime /dev/<xxx> $LFS

>that you should remount it.  Well, yes, obviously.  But we didn't ever
>tell anyone to mount it with those options.  There are a myriad of other
>ways that readers can fail to follow the instructions, but we
>don't/shouldn't/can't protect/advise against all of them, can we?

>Ta.

>Matt.

Hmmm, I followed the directions and typed it just as it is in the book:

mkdir -pv $LFS
mount -v -t ext3 /dev/<xxx> $LFS

But when I ran the mount command without any parameters to see what options were set,
nosuid, nodev  were set by default.  So in my case at least, I did have to explicitly remount.