[lfs-dev] LFS 7.0 errors

Matt Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 3 15:29:54 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 11:50 -0700, Scott Robertson wrote:

> On page xvi:
>
> "http://www.linuxhq.com/guides/LUG/guide.html"
> is not a valid web address.

Thanks.  I suggest we just remove this link.  I can't find a reliable
source for this guide/have no idea what the original guide contained.

> On Page 3, there is an extraneous bullet.

OK, thanks.  That's no longer there in the current development version.

> On page 21, under Iana-Etc:
> the homepage link is invalid, but it should redirect.  I think it has
> changed to:
>
> freecode.com/projects/iana-etc

It redirects fine for me.  Although admittedly, we should point to the
canonical location which appears, as you say, to be
http://sethwklein.net/iana-etc.  I seem to remember that the
sethwklein.net domain was unreliable at some point in the past, hence
why we pointed to freshmeat.  It seems to be fine now though, so should
be pointed back.

> On page 24, the udev "homepage" link is invalid.   Although this
> appears to be fixed in LFS 7.1

Yes. See the 2nd paragraph of 3.1.

> Util-linux
>
> homepage is invalid

I can't seem to find a canonical location for the upstream Util-Linux
project homepage.  Maybe we should just make this ""?

> Although there isn't really an error,
> On page 17, if the permissions are too restrictive, I think you need
> to clarify what to do about it.  You say to remount, but I the average
> person might not know what that means.  What I believe you intended
> was to issue the command:
>
> mount -o remount,suid,dev /dev/sd_
>
> which seemed to do the trick.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that entire paragraph could be
removed.  The book gives the command to mount the LFS partition as:

mount -pv $LFS -v -t ext3 /dev/<xxx> $LFS

And then warns, effectively, that if you did something like:

mount -pv $LFS -v -t ext3 -o nosuid,noudev,noatime /dev/<xxx> $LFS

that you should remount it.  Well, yes, obviously.  But we didn't ever
tell anyone to mount it with those options.  There are a myriad of other
ways that readers can fail to follow the instructions, but we
don't/shouldn't/can't protect/advise against all of them, can we?

Ta.

Matt.