[lfs-dev] Broken sound (glibc).

Andrew Benton andy at benton.eu.com
Wed May 2 02:11:01 PDT 2012

On Wed, 02 May 2012 01:41:47 +0100
Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>  The downside was that I got one new (to me) test failure in
> iconvdata:
> make[2]: *** [/usr/src/glibc-build/iconvdata/tst-tables.out] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [iconvdata/tests] Error 2
> make[2]: [/usr/src/glibc-build/posix/annexc.out] Error 1 (ignored)
> make: *** [check] Error 2

This is a good example of why tests are a waste of time: they never
tell me anything useful. The first time you installed glibc you ran the
tests and they all passed but the entire system is b0rken because sound
doesn't work due to a bug in glibc that the tests didn't detect.

So you patch glibc and now sound is working, you run the tests again
and this time you get a new failure. I've wasted a lot of time and
electricity running tests and I've never gained anything. I've learned
that they're a waste of time. I'm not drinking this test suite kool aid
any more.

Andy