[lfs-dev] Build method revisions

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 14:38:27 PDT 2012

Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:27:34 +0000
> Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>    Matt and I are very reluctant to change a working implementation.
>>  From what we can gather, gcc-4.7/glibc-2.15(?) changes things and will
>> require some LFS changes.  We need to be concentrating on that.
>
> In my experience Jeremy's build method works fine with gcc-4.7. Grub
> needed --disable-werror and that's about it. Using current glibc from
> git requires a few changes, but they're not related to Jeremy's build
> method.

Until gcc-4.7 comes out I'm recommending we use the exiting jh branch of
lfs and go ahead and put in these changes now with the release candidate
packages.  Then we can do some jhalfs style builds and test things out
from there.  When the new tool chain packages are released, we can then
merge them into svn with more confidence.

We may also want to roll the next version of LFS to 8.0 (September) due
to this change.

I do monitor the GRUB mailing list and see they still have a lot of
warnings they are fixing.  By the time they get to the GRUB 2.0 release,
I think --disable-werror will not be needed any more.

   -- Bruce