[lfs-dev] gptfdisk

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 20:51:36 PST 2012

I would like to propose adding gptfdisk to LFS.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/

It allows creation and management of GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks
using a fdisk type syntax.  It's much easier to use than gnu parted.

After using a GPT partitioned disk for a while, I recommend it over the
ancient BIOS/MBR partitioned disks.   The package builds gdisk, cgdisk,
sgdisk (similar to fdisk, cfdisk, and sfdisk), and fixparts.

The table looks like:

# gdisk -l /dev/sdc
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.5

Partition table scan:
   MBR: protective
   BSD: not present
   APM: not present
   GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
Disk /dev/sdc: 78165360 sectors, 37.3 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 1A083159-55E5-40A2-BC78-C269AB11A96E
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 78165326
Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
Total free space is 299020 sectors (146.0 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
    1            2048        23298000   11.1 GiB    8300  /opt for sdc2
    2        23592960        44040192   9.8 GiB     8300  / for lfs-7.2-rc1
    3        44042240        78165326   16.3 GiB    8300  / for svn-20121216
--------
When I created the first two partitions, I used GB instead of GiB so the
ending points created some small gaps.

The package requires libuuid (from util-linux) and ncurses.

There are some optional libraries (ICU library at
http://site.icu-project.org for unicode partition names) and sgdisk
requires popt.

The build requires editing or patching the Makefile if the ICU or popt
library files are not available.  Then a simple make. The executables
and man pages are installed with a simple cp.

-----

The other alternative is to put the package in BLFS but that makes LFS
incomplete because it would not be available to manage a GPT disk by
itself.  We could put it in both LFS and BLFS (for the optional
dependencies).

Thoughts?

   -- Bruce