[lfs-dev] Issue with /dev/shm on host system.

Matt Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 20 12:25:55 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 12:49 -0700, John Joganic wrote:
> I have put that in place, and it does appear to resolve the issue.
>
> Is there a process in the LFS community to update the instructions?
> Given that, as written, the process can break the host, it seems
> appropriate to at least include a warning.

I've just created a ticket in our Trac system
(http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/3258) to make sure this
isn't forgotten about.

Thanks for the report, and thanks to Pierre for the quick fix.

John, I think that /run should be a tmpfs on your Ubuntu host, but could
you confirm please?  If it is, then your /run/shm directory will be
recreated on a reboot.

Could you also confirm that /dev is also a tmpfs (or devtmpfs) please?
That should mean that the /dev/shm symlink will also be recreated on a
reboot (I'm assuming here that there's a udev rule or
a /lib/udev/devices/shm node around that will achieve this. Therefore I
don't think any permanent damage will have been done to your host.

Regards,

Matt.