[lfs-dev] Host System Requirements

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Mon Dec 17 04:10:52 PST 2012

On 12/17/2012 06:38 AM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

> I see two modifications, one easy to do, the other is perhaps
> impossible.
>
> 1. Change the position of the gcc, so it is not in the beginning nor the
> end of the tests.
> 2. Have a conclusion statement: "x tests passed, y tests failed, if
> y > 0, please fix your host system to fulfill the requirements".
>
> Last time I discussed, I had some feelings, but not the clarity I have
> now, after I having succeeded to help some, and understand and follow
> most support to others' problems.
>
> If I have succeeded to explain myself this time, but my suggestions seem
> wrong, I do not mind, main point is that I still feel that something
> could be improved and many potential users not being scared out anymore.
>
> []s,
> Fernando

Another possibility: leave it mostly unchanged, except for the line that
actually runs the script, redirect stderr to a file (in other words,
"bash version-check.sh 2>errors.log"), then follow up the script with
something like "These are the packages that had issues: [display
errors.log]" At the same time, the "gcc compilation failed" message can
also have a "1>&2" appended to it to make sure it also goes in the error
log. Further, when I added a compile check to CLFS I made the "fail"
message somewhat more verbose, indicating that you might want to go over
the full package list again and check for any missing development packages.