[lfs-dev] eudev project announcement

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 19:09:40 PST 2012

Nathan Coulson wrote:
> Looks like Gentoo have announced their udev fork, eudev
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/81901
>
> I think this  would fulfill our requirements, especially if more
> problems occur with supporting standalone udev.

There are a few issues here.  First, they are not releasing a tarball.
We would have to make our own.

Second, one issue they seem to address is that udev has problems when
modules, that is really not an issue for us.

Third, they want to support older installations.  Our users can
generally do that with older versions of udev.

Fourth, our build is very fast (about 10 seconds for me).  Not going
through configure is, IMO, an asset.

Fifth, the code is basically at an initial public beta stage.

That said, it is a project to watch.

   -- Bruce