[lfs-dev] Stripping libraries

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 10:35:01 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Tobias Gasser <lfs at ebp-gasser.ch> wrote:
> Baho Utot schrieb:
>>
>> #-- Options to be used when stripping binaries. See `man strip' for details.
>> STRIP_BINARIES="--strip-all"
>> #-- Options to be used when stripping shared libraries. See `man strip'
>> for details.
>> STRIP_SHARED="--strip-unneeded"
>> #-- Options to be used when stripping static libraries. See `man strip'
>> for details.
>> STRIP_STATIC="--strip-debug"
>>
>> Works fine
>
> next time i build the system (probably later today) i'll just use
> '--strip-unneeded' unconditionaly.
>
> until now i used --strip-all on binaries. a little googling convinced me
> to change my script as --strip-unneeded seems to to have intelligence ;)
>
> i'll write about the results as soon as the build is done.
>
> tobias

Back when that text was added to the book,  --strip-all removed
something from the static libraries that is needed to link to them
(basically making them useless).  Symbol table perhaps?

For testing, you would need to move the .so files out of the way, and
attempt to link to the .a file.

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------