[lfs-dev] glibc and rpc headers

Jasmine Iwanek jasmine at iwanek.co.uk
Sun Aug 26 21:36:25 PDT 2012

On 2012-08-27 05:00, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 03:46:00AM +0100, Jasmine Iwanek wrote:
>>
>> As I've stated several times now, we should *not* be pulling host
>> headers into glibc.
>>
>  You haven't explained why you didn't install the headers on youur
> first build.  In page 6.9 we say
>
> Install NIS and RPC related headers that are not installed by
> default; these are required by several BLFS packages:
>
> cp -v ../glibc-2.16.0/sunrpc/rpc/*.h /usr/include/rpc
> cp -v ../glibc-2.16.0/sunrpc/rpcsvc/*.h /usr/include/rpcsvc
> cp -v ../glibc-2.16.0/nis/rpcsvc/*.h /usr/include/rpcsvc
>
>  Sure, we've only started this discussion because you didn't do
> that, and some of the results have been interesting, but we _expect_
> those headers to get installed (like they were in past versions of
> glibc).
>
>  Do we need to use stronger language, or perhaps avoid the
> explanation so that people who think "I don't care about XXX in
> BLFS" will not omit them ?  I'm curious.

Maybe I've made an omission on my part too, I'll be a bit clearer if I
can:

We shouldn't be pulling in headers to the build in ch5 after binutils
pass1 and gcc pass1 which are in /usr/include, by that point the
compiler and linker *should* be using /tools/include instead.

I omitted those instructions from my build initially due to having
nothing that needed them, this is what led to me noticing that we have
the include problem.

What can I say, I'm a purist, I'd left them out after that simply due
to to the fact nothing I was adding from BLFS had asked for them. My
*initial* post being due to simply having forgotten them, from after
that, noticing that it was using /usr/include when it shouldn't.

--
Jasmine Iwanek