[lfs-dev] glibc and rpc headers

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 26 21:16:03 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 09:30:56PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Starting a new thread.

[...]
> I'm starting to think that the problem is that we've built Chapter 6
> glibc in 7.2 without the --enable-obsolete-rpc which would probably
> solve the problem there.  For a 7.1 host, we'd need a note to install
> the rpcnis-headers.tar.bz2 tarball as a part of Chapter 5 glibc.
>
> As in BLFS libtirpc:
>
> if [ ! r /usr/include/rpc/rpc.h ]; then
>    tar -xvf ../rpcnis-headers.tar.bz2 -C /usr/include
> fi

 Almost.  For 7.1, we didn't install them.  We fixed that a little
while later, so my own 7.1 installs include them.  For 7.2 we _do_
install them, at least if people follow all the instructions.  The
switch is a cleaner way of doing it, but it installs a bit more
(.x pascal headers - just like in the old versions) and is for our
convenience going forward (one less thing to maintain).  But, adding
that --enable-obsolete-rpc switch ought to be tested by another rc.

> That's not something I want to do.  Perhaps the workaround of the sed
> for Chapter 5 is the way to go.

 All versions of glibc before 2.14 installed these headers.  I would
very much prefer that we require builders to install them if they
are using an incomplete host system (probably LFS).

ĸen