[lfs-dev] Possible problem with current glibc (LFS 7.2 cant recompile LFS 7.2)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 26 13:13:03 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:46:26AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Everything looks OK to me. Jasmine, what is the command line (from the
> log) that produces the error?  I don't know what you are doing that
> wants to output to cross-rpc_clntout.o.
>
>    -- Bruce

 Interrupting, after some build-tests on x86_64 : If I use the
book's full install, including the rpc headers, chapter 5 glibc is
fine, as is chapter 6 [ ignoring whatever _I_ do differently to
automake which causes 80+ test failures : only a handful when run
_manually_ in the completed system ].

 But, Jasmine mentioned a problem in chapter 5, on _rebuilding_ 7.2
from itself.  This leads me to think you didn't install the headers
in chapter 6 on the initial build ?

 If I rename /usr/include/rpc{,svc} so that they will not be found,
I get an error in chapter 5 on x86_64.  So, it isn't only 32-bit.

good (broken up by pasting):

gcc   -D_RPC_THREAD_SAFE_ -D_GNU_SOURCE -DIS_IN_build -include
/mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/config.h rpc_clntout.c \
        -o /mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/sunrpc/cross-rpc_clntout.o
-MMD -MP -MF
/mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/sunrpc/cross-rpc_clntout.o.dt -MT
/mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/sunrpc/cross-rpc_clntout.o -c
gcc   -D_RPC_THREAD_SAFE_ -D_GNU_SOURCE -DIS_IN_build -include
/mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/config.h rpc_tblout.c \
        -o /mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/sunrpc/cross-rpc_tblout.o
-MMD -MP -MF
/mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/sunrpc/cross-rpc_tblout.o.dt -MT
/mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/sunrpc/cross-rpc_tblout.o -c

bad, with the headers renamed so they can't be found:

gcc   -D_RPC_THREAD_SAFE_ -D_GNU_SOURCE -DIS_IN_build -include
/mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/config.h rpc_clntout.c \
        -o /mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/sunrpc/cross-rpc_clntout.o
-MMD -MP -MF
/mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/sunrpc/cross-rpc_clntout.o.dt -MT
/mnt/lfs/building/glibc-build/sunrpc/cross-rpc_clntout.o -c
rpc_clntout.c:34:23: fatal error: rpc/types.h: No such file or
directory
compilation terminated.

 this is on the way to building cross-rpcgen.

 So, this exact error only appears when cross-compiling glibc in
chapter 5.  Most of us won't see it, because the rpc headers are
normally present on the host.

 A quick google suggests that this might be because of a change
earlier this year - it found the following submission.  It isn't
obvious from the list archives whether or not it got applied, but I
guess some variant of it did.

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00325.html

ĸen