[lfs-dev] Drop Coreutils Internationalization Fixes Patch

Matt Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 10 11:37:37 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 19:33 +0200, Sebastian Plotz wrote:
> I just want to ask if it is still necessary to ship the Coreutils
> Internationalization Fixes Patch with the book.
>
> It was rejected by the upstream maintainers and is possibly the reason
> for problems (the book says this).44

It's been a while since we've had any problems knowingly caused by that
patch, and it fixes several i18n related issues which I can imagine
being quite important for none-English speaking users.  Whilst we try
not to use patches that have been rejected upstream, there's no other
substitute at the moment.  The upstream-preferred approach would be to
use libunistring functionality to handle character-width and related
issues, but so far no one has produced anything along those lines.

I think it may be safe to remove the warning about the patch; it's well
maintained by Fedora and we pretty much use it as-is.  That way at least
we don't unduly scare our readers.

Regards,

Matt.