perl-5.14.1

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:52:38 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>
>> silly question, but what was the reason for only installing part of
>> perl?  I know we don't need it, but we rarely go out of our way to
>> just install what we need in chapter 5's packages.
>
> Well, it's an interesting question.  Looking back, lfs was installing a
> partial Chapter 5 perl in May 2003, perhaps earlier.  I don't remember
> the details, but I suppose it was for efficiency reasons.

IIRC, this was a DIYism that we borrowed from Greg. Essentially, perl
with all the modules distributed in the tarball is much more than
what's necessary for bootstrapping. Furthermore, perl will by default
build all the modules for dynamic loading. By passing
-Dstatic_ext=..., you're building only the necessary extensions and
then linking them statically into the perl executable. It's less space
and build time, but it's also a little more robust since you can't get
into a situation where perl is looking in the wrong spot for these
modules.

So, it's really an optimization only. Just FYI, to keep that
optimization but just add AutoSplit, you can just add
"cpan/AutoLoader/pm_to_blib" to the make line.

--
Dan