perl-5.14.1

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 14:58:55 PDT 2011

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On 26/06/2011 20:09, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> I have found that if I change this to
>>
>> 1. sh Configure -des -Dprefix=/tools
>> 2. make
>> 3. cp -v perl cpan/podlators/pod2man /tools/bin
>> 4. mkdir -pv /tools/lib/perl5/5.14.1
>> 5. cp -Rv lib/* /tools/lib/perl5/5.14.1
>>
>> then all packages in the book build without complaint.  The build time
>> does not seem to change a lot.
>>
>> The change in line 3 is due to the new distribution, but the first 2
>> lines are the more significant.  We build the whole distro, but still do
>> not do a complete `make install'.
>
> Ah, thanks for that.  My previous attempt with 5.14.0 made the same
> changes to 1 & 3, but didn't change 2 which is why it obviously failed
> for me.  I don't see any problems with the proposed instructions; I
> assume you did a full chapter 6 test suite run to verify it?  I think
> it's Glibc & Coreutils that are particularly picky about the Perl
> installation, if I recall correctly.

You are right about that the reason for perl in Chapter 5 is Glibc and
Coreutils.  The tests for Perl in Chapter 6 are run after both of those
and the Chapter 6 install instructions don't change.  I still get "All
tests successful".

I do get some FAILs in coreutils:

FAIL: misc/help-version
FAIL: misc/invalid-opt

I'm not sure why, but I don't think they are related to perl.  I also
don't think they are significant.

For glibc, I get:

make[3]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/rt/tst-cpuclock2.out] Error 1

make[3]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/elf/tst-audit4.out] Error 132
make[3]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/elf/tst-audit6.out] Error 132
make[3]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/elf/tst-audit7.out] Error 132

Google says the audit tests are due to an optimization issue in gcc-4.6.
  The fix is to add -mno-vzeroupper for those tests.

I don't think we need to address this.

   -- Bruce