perl-5.14.1

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 12:59:07 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to integrate the latest perl into the book.  In Chapter
> 5, we have traditionally built only the portion of perl needed later in
> Chapter 6.
>
> Now, coreutils needs a new function to build it's documentation,
> AutoSplit.  I tried a couple of things to add that to the pieces we
> already built, but was not successful.   The instructions we now use are:
>
> 1. sh Configure -des -Dprefix=/tools \
>               -Dstatic_ext='Data/Dumper Fcntl IO'
>
> 2. make perl utilities ext/Errno/pm_to_blib
> 3. cp -v perl pod/pod2man /tools/bin
> 4. mkdir -pv /tools/lib/perl5/5.12.3
> 5. cp -Rv lib/* /tools/lib/perl5/5.12.3
>
> I have found that if I change this to
>
> 1. sh Configure -des -Dprefix=/tools
> 2. make
> 3. cp -v perl cpan/podlators/pod2man /tools/bin
> 4. mkdir -pv /tools/lib/perl5/5.14.1
> 5. cp -Rv lib/* /tools/lib/perl5/5.14.1
>
> then all packages in the book build without complaint.  The build time
> does not seem to change a lot.
>
> The change in line 3 is due to the new distribution, but the first 2
> lines are the more significant.  We build the whole distro, but still do
> not do a complete `make install'.
>
> Making this change will also need some changes to the explanation in the
> perl section of Chapter 5.
>
> Does anyone see a problem with this?
>
>   -- Bruce
> --

it's simple, does not add too much time to the build, and gives us
what we want.  It's perfect.

silly question, but what was the reason for only installing part of
perl?  I know we don't need it, but we rarely go out of our way to
just install what we need in chapter 5's packages.

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------