perl-5.14.1

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 26 12:51:47 PDT 2011

On 26/06/2011 20:09, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I have found that if I change this to
>
> 1. sh Configure -des -Dprefix=/tools
> 2. make
> 3. cp -v perl cpan/podlators/pod2man /tools/bin
> 4. mkdir -pv /tools/lib/perl5/5.14.1
> 5. cp -Rv lib/* /tools/lib/perl5/5.14.1
>
> then all packages in the book build without complaint.  The build time
> does not seem to change a lot.
>
> The change in line 3 is due to the new distribution, but the first 2
> lines are the more significant.  We build the whole distro, but still do
> not do a complete `make install'.

Ah, thanks for that.  My previous attempt with 5.14.0 made the same
changes to 1 & 3, but didn't change 2 which is why it obviously failed
for me.  I don't see any problems with the proposed instructions; I
assume you did a full chapter 6 test suite run to verify it?  I think
it's Glibc & Coreutils that are particularly picky about the Perl
installation, if I recall correctly.

Thanks,

Matt.