perl-5.14.1

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 12:09:45 PDT 2011

I've been trying to integrate the latest perl into the book.  In Chapter
5, we have traditionally built only the portion of perl needed later in
Chapter 6.

Now, coreutils needs a new function to build it's documentation,
AutoSplit.  I tried a couple of things to add that to the pieces we
already built, but was not successful.   The instructions we now use are:

1. sh Configure -des -Dprefix=/tools \
               -Dstatic_ext='Data/Dumper Fcntl IO'

2. make perl utilities ext/Errno/pm_to_blib
3. cp -v perl pod/pod2man /tools/bin
4. mkdir -pv /tools/lib/perl5/5.12.3
5. cp -Rv lib/* /tools/lib/perl5/5.12.3

I have found that if I change this to

1. sh Configure -des -Dprefix=/tools
2. make
3. cp -v perl cpan/podlators/pod2man /tools/bin
4. mkdir -pv /tools/lib/perl5/5.14.1
5. cp -Rv lib/* /tools/lib/perl5/5.14.1

then all packages in the book build without complaint.  The build time
does not seem to change a lot.

The change in line 3 is due to the new distribution, but the first 2
lines are the more significant.  We build the whole distro, but still do
not do a complete `make install'.

Making this change will also need some changes to the explanation in the
perl section of Chapter 5.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

   -- Bruce