grub dependencies

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 08:42:26 PDT 2011

Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:25:33 -0500
> Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have finally found time to try to put GRUB-1.99 in the book.  Building
>> the package is not an issue, but creating a backup is:
>>
>> /usr/bin/grub-mkrescue: line 310: xorriso: command not found
>>
>> The package is at http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/xorriso_eng.html#download
>>
>> Do we add yet another package to LFS or skip the section on backups in
>> Section 8.4?
>
> I like xorriso, it works well for me, but I don't think it should be
> added to LFS. Putting it in BLFS and discussing the grub issue there
> would be a better option.
>
>> There are other problems with grub.  grub-probe is not working properly
>> and that causes the configuration to fail.  I'm inquiring upstream about
>> that.
>
> grub-probe is working fine here. grub-1.99 gives a more reliable
> device.map like this:
>
> (hd0)	/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200826AS_4ND110EC
> (hd1)	/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EARS-22Y5B1_WD-WCAV5H187690
>
> If I take a disk out, /dev/sda may change, but labeling the disks by-id
> is more reliable. Does it depend on the version of udev running? What
> version of udev are you using on the system you're testing?

I have a current SVN version on x86_64 for test.

See https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2011-06/msg00010.html

I'll try out the patch, but it will be a few days.

Another solution may be to do:

   cd /dev
   ln -sv <root partition> root

before running a program that needs grub-probe.

Another problem is that the kernel only understands devices on the
command line, not an id as above.

   -- Bruce