grub dependencies

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 03:39:48 PDT 2011

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:25:33 -0500
Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have finally found time to try to put GRUB-1.99 in the book.  Building
> the package is not an issue, but creating a backup is:
>
> /usr/bin/grub-mkrescue: line 310: xorriso: command not found
>
> The package is at http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/xorriso_eng.html#download
>
> Do we add yet another package to LFS or skip the section on backups in
> Section 8.4?

I like xorriso, it works well for me, but I don't think it should be
added to LFS. Putting it in BLFS and discussing the grub issue there
would be a better option.

> There are other problems with grub.  grub-probe is not working properly
> and that causes the configuration to fail.  I'm inquiring upstream about
> that.

grub-probe is working fine here. grub-1.99 gives a more reliable
device.map like this:

(hd0)	/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3200826AS_4ND110EC
(hd1)	/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10EARS-22Y5B1_WD-WCAV5H187690

If I take a disk out, /dev/sda may change, but labeling the disks by-id
is more reliable. Does it depend on the version of udev running? What
version of udev are you using on the system you're testing?

Andy