svn bootscript regression

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 23:50:58 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Archaic wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 06:32:56PM -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:
>>> It was done intentionally. I was not aware that anyone had ever used a
>>> file named ifconfig.interface and this was not documented anywhere. I
>>> removed it because it simply because it was one more test case in ifup
>>> and ifdown. I could certainly put it back.
>>
>> The file feature was added because 99% of the cases you are setting up
>> one IP for one interface. Redhat was likely an inspiration for it since
>> it is very similar to theirs, but it has been so long ago I can't
>> remember what exactly we were thinking. :) The directory feature is
>> actually the corner case for specifying multiple configurations for a
>> single interface.
>
> You are right.  That's the way I remember it too.  I never liked it
> though.  A single file that is edited would be better for LFS.
>
> The system is designed so a distribution package manager can just drop
> in files.  That's easier for a distro, but harder for a person to
> understand.
>
>   -- Bruce

The original setup, was ifconfig.eth0 as a file,  that can configure
static ip addresses.

After that, I moved us to the services option, so LFS would support
more then a static IPV4 address.

Once that was setup, I wanted to allow us to use more then 1 service
script at once.  At the time,  I wanted to seperate the "add ip
address" functionality from the routing, and then ipv4-static-route
was born.  (In hindsight,  setting the GATEWAY in the ipv4-static
script was more convienent then two files, but still useful if you
want to setup static routing).

On my own, I use a custom bridge script, (creates the interface from x
number of interfaces),  and add 2 static ip's.  3 files.

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------