"unknown HZ value" message still appears in procps utils

LANOUX Bertrand lanouxb at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 7 03:16:05 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I have noticed the "unknown HZ value" message still appears at boot time and under some unpredictable circumstances when running the ps command, even after applying the procps-3.2.8-fix_HZ_errors-1.patch (I currently use a SMP, 2.6.38.4 tickless kernel).
So after looking inside the procps code and patch, I deduced the linux_version_code variable was not correctly valued. After starting to make my own patch, I came across a similar issue when looking over the net (seen on http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-13-37-rc-unknown-hz-value-after-procps-upgrade-871679/). It seems the constructor functions don't run as the package expect on recent libgcc.

After applying it, the message definitively disappeared. The patch is attached (another solution is to prioritize the constructor functions).

It works well since quite a while for me now, so may it be taken into account for those who have encountered the same inconvenience. Have a look ?

Thanks for reading,

        Bertrand.