Bootscript reorganization

William Immendorf will.immendorf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 07:03:57 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> If you really want to go to a single config file, why not take a peak at
> how Ubuntu does their networking scripts then? I don't know how they
> work internally, but parsing logic seems obvious enough on the surface.
> The single config file, /etc/network/interfaces, is used there and looks
> fairly nice and is certainly self explanatory:
Yes, that looks very simple and very achievable. It would also be very
easy to implement in system-tools-backends, due to how it looks
similar to Debian.

I can even give you ideas for conceptual scripts for DHCP,  PPoE, and wifi:

For DHCP:

{{{
# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
service <either dhclient or dhcpcd>
start_opts "<dhclient or dhcpcd start opts>"
stop_opts "<dhclient or dhcpcd stop opts>"
print_ip true
print_all false
}}}

For PPoE:

{{{
# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet ppoe
opts "user jdoe remotename adsl"
}}}

For Wifi with DHCPCD:

{{{
# The primary network interface:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet wifi dhcp
ssid "DontPanic"
service <either dhclient or dhcpcd>
start_opts "<dhclient or dhcpcd start opts>"
stop_opts "<dhclient or dhcpcd stop opts>"
print_ip true
print_all false
}}}

See? All simple.

--
William Immendorf
The ultimate in free computing.

and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

--
Are you a Gmail user? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?31450.