Question about the 'K' and 'S' in script names in /etc/rc.d/rc{0, 6}.d

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 18 22:47:36 PDT 2011

On 07/19/2011 12:20 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> If alsa utils is installed, you should have K links in RLs 0,1,2,6 and
>> no start links as the volume restore is handled by udev.
> No, we don't have anything at RL2.  At least not now.  The BLFS Makefile
> has:
>
> ln -sf  ../init.d/alsa ${EXTDIR}/rc.d/rc0.d/K35alsa
> ln -sf  ../init.d/alsa ${EXTDIR}/rc.d/rc1.d/K35alsa
> ln -sf  ../init.d/alsa ${EXTDIR}/rc.d/rc6.d/K35alsa
Oh, that is broken then in stock scripts. I've have it in mine for a
long time.  FHS issue, one that really shouldn't exist today. I think
the udev rule is in the same state though.

> Yes, writing to /etc for configuration is wrong.  It should write to
> /var/cache/alsa or similar or more likely /home/.config/alsa/state, not
> /etc.  I agree that dropping to RL1 should do this, but not RL2.  It's a
> design problem in alsa.

> Actually, I haven't done a manual change of run level is several years.
>    I like to start in RL3 and stay there until shutdown.  It's easy to
> type startx and the boot is a lot faster.  For those who are command
> line impaired, I guess a change from RL5 to RL3 is sometimes needed, but
> C-A-D for reboot and shutdown for halt is all I ever use.
> I can't remember the last time I used RL1 or RL2 for any reason.
Traitor! That's the perfect argument for upstart (systemd too?). ;-)
>> Again, I don't particularly like it (yet), but I have a feeling that
>> we'll begin to see more and more of this in the future. Network cards
>> could conceivably be next in line (think of turning on your wireless
>> card on your laptop), so it makes some sense to rewrite ifup and ifdown
>> now, along with the network script (which could be also be replaced by
>> NM or something similar after LFS).
> I already rewrote ifup/ifdown and added a way to write multiple
> (optional) scripts for a single interface.  There will need some new
> services written for BLFS and wireless can be complicated and a bit tricky.

I really need to look...shooting for tomorrow if I get home early
enough. I'm out for the night.

-- DJ Lucas