Partial update of bootscripts

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 19:13:52 PDT 2011

Top posting to be more complete:

I've completed the rewrite of the bootscripts (attached).  From the
changelog:

* Major rewrite of all LFS scripts
** Move ifup/ifdown to /sbin
** Move functions and network services to /lib/boot
** Remove contrib directory
** Move all READ commands to functions and allow the user to specify
    HEADLESS=1 to skip READ commands
** Add /etc/sysconfig/init_params for adding environmental parameters
    to all functions used in bootscripts
** Move network configuration to /etc/sysconfig/ifconfig.*.  The
    ifconfig files can have any extention.  Use IFACE parameter to
    specify the target network interface within the configuration file.
** Adds an optional parameter, SKIPTMPCLEAN, to skip the removal of
    files in /tmp at bootup.  Specify the variable in
    /etc/sysconfig/init_params.

TODO:
   Reorganize/update Chapter 7 of the book.
   Move 6.60.2. Configuring Sysvinit to Chapter 7 and explain the
   configuration file.
   Separate bootscript sections from log on script sections.
   Group networking scripts and explain how the are configured.

Also, I'm thinking of moving the current 'network' config file to
init_params since it is only defines one environment variable.  If we
leave it as a separate file, it should be renamed to 'hostname'.

I also want to put the configuration of sysklogd in init_params.  That
requires a minor change to the init.d/sysklogd script that I haven't
made yet.

I deleted the contrib section because I think it has mostly been
incorporated into the new scripts.  For LSB, we need to add init-tools
to BLFS.

Feedback is welcome.

   -- Bruce