Partial update of bootscripts

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 08:52:16 PDT 2011

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>> I'm not sure what you mean.
>
> Commit the udev_retry update as a separate revision in svn.  It's pretty
> independent of the other changes being proposed.  Maybe that was the
> plan already though.

I wasn't planning that, but I suppose I could.  However, I think I'll
have a complete LFS bootscript rewrite ready in a week or two.

> For CD burners, I'd *expect* (but don't know for sure) that it would be
> best these days to use the /dev/disk/by-* symlinks anyway, so those may
> become less of a problem.  But it's been a long time since I tried to
> burn a CD; it's possible that the burning software these days requires a
> device node, not a symlink.  Or something else equally dumb.

Symlinks like /dev/cdrom->sr0 work fine for me.

>> I don't know why any rules would have to be delayed and that would
>> mean that udev_retry would be unnecessary.
>
> If alsactl is in /usr/sbin, and /usr is not on the root fs, then the
> controlC* rule that we have will fail, since it won't be able to run
> "alsactl restore".  Similarly for any other rules that get installed
> that require binaries or other configuration (...usb-db, for instance,
> although we don't install that) in /usr.

Got point.  I've made the point before that there needs to be a writable
analog to /run that is a top level directory, not a mountpoint, that is
persistent across boots for this type of thing.  Until that's done, I
don't see a way to make / read only.

   -- Bruce