Bootscript reorganization

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 9 08:30:56 PDT 2011

On 07/07/2011 12:33 PM, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> This is requesting feedback on many of the exact things we discussed in a recent thread, although some of the conclusions were different.
>
> I can't pull up the exact thread at the moment since I'm on the road, but DJ should be able to point the way.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JH

Sorry for the lack of attention, I too have been very busy lately. I'm
available for a short time now.
> On Jul 7, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Bruce Dubbs<bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I've been looking at the bootscripts and want to do some fairly major
>> reorganization.  I'm putting this out as a basis of discussion.
>>
>> 1.  Remove /etc/sysconfig/rc
>>
>> Presently this does
>>
>> rc_base=/etc/rc.d
>> rc_functions=${rc_base}/init.d/functions
>> network_devices=/etc/sysconfig/network-devices
>>
>> The indirection this provides does not appear to be needed to me.  Each
>> boot script now does:
>>
>> . /etc/sysconfig/rc
>> . ${rc_functions}
>>
>> I don't see a need for this.  Each script can have this replaced with
>> the simpler
>>
>> . /etc/rc.d/functions
>>
>> 2.  Remove /etc/sysconfig/network-devices
>> Move the scripts ifdown, iftest, and ifup to /sbin.

Up until here, you are consistent with the recent changes in LSB
bootscripts. Are you intending to scratch those completely? Even if LFS
does not use the scripts we've worked on for the past few years, the
rewritten ifup/ifdown could probably be reused effectively as they were
written specifically for being placed into /sbin, but see below...
>> Integrate
>> ipv4-static* into the if* commands.
>>
>> 3.  Place all configuration parameters for the network into
>> /etc/sysconfig/network.
>>
>> This would include the HOSTNAME as well as any information in
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.*/*

These I'm a little curious about. I really like the modular approach of
one directory per interface, so I'll be a hard sell, but an example that
accounts for BLFS additions would certainly be desirable.
>> ---
>>
>> I think these changes will make the LFS bootscripts more understandable
>> and easier to administer.  There will be a lot of changes as basically
>> every bootscript will have to be touched.  Sections 7.11 and 7.13.2 of
>> the book will also have to be reworked.
>>
>> We can use the opportunity to review and update the /etc/rc.d/rc and
>> /etc/rc.d/functions scripts.

Yes, there is a lot of unused/outdated stuff in there now and much room
for improvement. A complete restart would be good. I'd also like you to
consider using the rc script additions from the LSB bootscripts and some
of the logic from the initd_functions if you decide to avoid the LSB
scripts as a whole.
>> I am requesting feedback.
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>> --