Bootscript reorganization

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 20:38:59 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan Coulson wrote:
>
>>> Alternatively we could use something like:
>>>
>>> #TYPE:IP:PREFIX:MASK:GATEWAY:BOOT
>>> eth0=static:192.168.1.1:24:192.168.1.255:192.168.1.1:onboot
>>
>> that, is beautiful.
>
> I'm not sure about that.  :)
>
>> [ipv6 uses : for deliminators if I recall]
>
> Yes, of course.  I forgot about that.  Setting up a ipv6 configuration
> shouldn't be any more complicated than ipv4.  The same entries, ip,
> mask, broadcast, network, default router are all the same concepts.  The
> actual stack is more complicated of course and the format of the numbers
> is different, but the principles are the same.
>
>> [not sure how static routes would work, does anyone actually use that
>> on LFS though?]
>
> A static route is nothing more than a table entry.  A packet is
> generated by the system or is received my a network interface (if
> forwarding is allowed).  Once the stack has the packet, the output logic
> is the same.  Say you have something like:
>
> Destination  Gateway      Genmask       Flags Metric Ref  Use Iface
> 1.2.0.0      1.2.7.8      255.255.0.0   UG    0      0    0   eth1
> 192.168.0.0  0.0.0.0      255.255.255.0 U     0      0    0   eth0
> 0.0.0.0      192.168.0.1  0.0.0.0       UG    0      0    0   eth0
>
> You take the destination ip address, AND it with the mask, and compare
> to the destination.  If you get multiple matches, you use the lowest
> metric.  Then you send the packet to the corresponding gateway through
> the associated interface.  The difference between ipv4 and ipv6 is that
> ipv4 uses 32-bit numbers and ipv6 uses 128-bit numbers.  The routing
> principle is the same.   The only difference in Linux between a router
> and standard host is that for a router, a daemon manages the table
> dynamically.
>
> Note that if the destination is a system on a locally attached network,
> the gateway is not used and the link layer frame is sent directly via
> the underlying link level protocol via the appropriate interface.

that is well written,  almost hate saying that I meant in the context
of the /etc/sysconfig/network file.

Only device I use a static ipv4 route on what I consider to be a
standard home network is my openwrt router.

back in the day,  there were numerous users using LFS as a router, not
sure if it's a common use or not.

>> [dhcp, should work great.]
>>
>> Still wouldn't mind something like
>> /lib/boot/services/{static,dhcp,bridge}  [with only static existing on
>> a lfs build].  and pass the parameters to the service script.
>
> Perhaps, but /lib/boot would probably be enough.  What other directory
> besides services would be in /lib/boot?

nothing I can think of,  but in that case I'd rather name it to
reflect network as opposed to boot.  [wonder if /lib/network would
have any conflicts,  calling it services could get confusing in /lib
as too generic]