Bootscript reorganization

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Thu Jul 7 20:35:20 PDT 2011

On Jul 7, 2011, at 10:05 PM, Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> Zachary Kotlarek wrote:
>> I haven't ever found a use for a DHCPv6 client,
>
> Dynamic DNS: having the DHCP server update the DNS server

I can see that. I moved to mdns for such things well before I added IPv6 to my network, so I've never cared. Seems a shame to have to run DHCP just to do DDNS registration, but it's not like there are a lot of options if you want to support Windows out-of-the-box.

> I dislike having the DHCP client update DNS on its own, because (a) that
> requires some sort of authentication to do correctly (rather than just a
> shared key between the DHCP and DNS servers, which is what I have now),

If you're going to accept an unauthenticated DHCP request with an arbitrary hostname as the basis for the DNS update I don't see a lot of value in authenticating later portions of the same transaction.

	Zach